With so many people putting up lights and other outdoor decorations and posting them to YouTube, the temptation to do your own lighting arrangement is definitely there. Even doing an amazing light set-up in your living room or in every room in your house is a real desire. So why not? Lights are inexpensive, look great and with a little effort, your home can be the envy of the neighborhood! Taking the time to be safe not only assures you that your lights will look great, but that you’ll be able to truly enjoy them as well.
Here are some great ways to avoid hazards while hanging lights:
– Inside the home:
- Use a real step ladder, not a chair.
- Either leave doors open or hang a sign on a door that’s closed if you’re hanging lights around it to keep from being hit with the door.
– Outside the house
- Don’t use ladders if it is raining, snowing or the wind is blowing.
- Wear skid resistant shoes when using ladders.
- When using an extension ladder, place the base one foot away from the wall for every four feet of extension.
- Don’t lean outside of the ladder rails. Reposition the ladder instead.
Having a great homeowners insurance policy also means you have a financial safety net in case something does happen. Great agents like those with Steve Wilk Insurance in Lombard IL are ready to help you with all of your home insurance needs, so give them a call and see if your homeowners policy fits all of your needs!