Now that March 31st has passed, the only way to get health insurance and avoid the fines is if you have "qualifying events" that give you special enrollment periods. These are short time frames that allow you to enroll through the Healthcare Marketplace after one of these events happen.
Qualifying Events to Get Special Enrollment Permission
- Changes in marital status, including marriage, divorce, annulment, spousal death or legal separation
- Dependent changes, including births, deaths or adoptions.
- Employee changes, including retirement, change of residence, or cost increases or policy changes in employer health coverage.
- Judgments court orders or decrees imposed during the calendar year.
- Loss of coverage under a government or educational institution-sponsored health plan.
- Enrollment in Medicare or Medicaid, when eligible.
If you’re like many Americans still with questions, contact the Steve Wilk Insurance Agency in Lombard, Illinois. The Steve Wilk Insurance team will give you the answers and advice you need to understand the enrollment criteria and qualifying events.