Grilling season is here and as the frequency of barbecuing increases, so do the number of grill related fires, injuries and accidents. To keep your home, family and friends safe this year, follow these simple grilling safety tips:
- Only use the grill outdoors, in an area with plenty of ventilation.
- When in use, the grill should be at least 10 feet away from the house, shed or garage.
- Place the grill on a steady surface and place a grill mat underneath to catch any grease spills or splatters.
- Never leave a lit barbecue unattended.
- Never try to move a grill that’s lit.
- Keep a fire extinguisher close by in case of fire and use baking soda to extinguish grease fires.
- Wear appropriate clothing when manning the grill. Keep away from long, loose fitting items that may accidentally come in contact with the fire.
- Keep small children and pets away from a hot grill and for at least one hour afterwards.
Even when you follow grilling safety tips, accidents can still occur. Make sure your insurance is up to date and provides the proper amount of coverage. Steve Wilk Insurance can help residents of Lombard and the surrounding areas with all of their insurance needs. Contact us today!