In this part of the country autumn and winter can, and probably will, throw just about anything at us. It is why it is so important to have a homeowners insurance review to make sure you are properly covered. Preparing for winter also includes home maintenance must do’s. Here is a quick checklist to help you prepare for the cold weather ahead.
- Have your heating system checked, or at the very least, change your furnace filters. Keeping your furnace filters clean can save you money, it is easy to do and they are inexpensive to buy.
- Check for air leaks and gaps around your home, especially around doors and windows. Gaps can cost you dearly in your heating bill and they can be an invitation to unwanted pests looking for a warmer place to stay.
- If you have a fireplace make sure it is clean. Chimney cleaning is best done by a professional.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts and make sure they are moving water away from your home efficiently.
- There is still time to do a weed and feed on your lawn that you will see the benefits from next spring.