Home Security Tips
There is no better way to enjoy the warm spring and summer weather than taking a vacation with your whole family. While you are packing your bags and planning your itinerary, it is also important to take the time to make sure that your house stays safe while you are away. Keep these tips in mind to secure your house while you are enjoying your relaxing vacation.
- Inspect all of your pipes and look for any leaks. A small leak can turn into a huge problem if you leave it unattended while you are away.
- Turn your hot water heater and furnace down. Your heater should be set at 50 degrees to make sure that your pipes do not freeze if it is still a little cold out. If your pets are staying home, set the furnace to 70 degrees.
- If you are leaving your furry friend at home, make arrangements to ensure that they get the attention that they deserve. Ask a trusted friend or family member to come over each day to play with them and feed them
- Unplug any appliances that do not need to stay connected, such as your toaster, coffee maker, and exercise equipment.
- Leave a light on so that your house does not stay dark the whole time that you are gone. Even better, install a couple timers so that lights will go on and off at different times while you are away.
- Put a hold on your mail with the post office so that your mailbox does not start to overflow. A full mailbox is a sure sign for burglars that you are away from home.
To protect your home while you are away on summer vacation, contact Steve Wilk Insurance in Lombard, Illinois. We will work with you to make sure that you have the right amount of homeowners insurance to keep you safe.