Learn which medical tests and screenings you should schedule this year.
As you get older, your chances of developing a medical condition increase. The best way to keep an eye out for any serious medical ailments is by undergoing routine medical tests and screenings. Not sure which tests you need? Here are some of the preventative medical tests you should get this year.
1) Prostate Exam – All men over 50 should speak to their doctors about getting a prostate exam to screen for prostate cancer. If prostate cancer runs in your family, ask your doctor about scheduling the exam earlier.
1) Mammogram – Mammograms are the best way to screen for early signs of breast cancer. Women over 50 should have annual mammograms.
2) Pap Smear – A pap smear is a procedure that checks for human papillomavirus (HPV) and cervical cancer. This procedure should take place every 3-5 years for women between the ages of 30 and 65.
Men and Women
1) Colonoscopy – As soon as you turn 50, you should schedule a colonoscopy to screen for colon cancer.
2) Blood Sugar – Many people are diabetic or pre-diabetic without even realizing it. That’s why it’s important to check your fasting blood sugar levels about every 3 years. If diabetes runs in your family, you might want to consider getting tested more frequently.
3) Cholesterol Levels – High cholesterol increases your risk for heart attack and other heart diseases. That’s why it’s important to monitor your cholesterol levels by having them checked every 5 years.
4) Eye Exam – The older you are, the higher your risk of developing a debilitating eye disease or suffering from worsening eye sight. That’s why everyone should get routine eye exams every 2 years.
5) Immunizations – The older you get, the harder it is for your body to fight off illness and infection. That’s why it’s important to stay up to date with your various immunizations and vaccines. For instance, you should get your flu shot every year and a tetanus booster every 10. Additionally, you might want to ask about getting the vaccines for whooping cough, shingles, and Hepatitis A and B.
These are some of the medical tests and screenings that you should consider scheduling this year. Want another way to look after your health? Make sure you have the right health plan to fit your needs. To get the health coverage you need, contact the team at Steve Wilk Insurance Agency. Located in Illinois, check out our new office at 310 S Main Street, Suite C, Lombard, IL 60148.