Halloween is fast approaching, which means it is the perfect time to make sure you have the greatest costume for trick or treating. More importantly, it is vital that everyone knows how to stay safe during the holiday. Keep these pedestrian safety tips in mind to ensure everyone has the best Halloween.
- Only cross the street in a designated crosswalk, and make sure to follow all the traffic laws, including the traffic signals.
- Always look left, right, and then left again when crossing the road, to be positive no cars are coming.
- Always stay alert. Do not look at any electronic devices, such as your cell phone or hand help games, to ensure that you are aware of what is going on.
- Teach your children to make eye contact with a driver before crossing the street so that the passing driver sees them.
- Always walk on paths or sidewalks where they are available. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing the traffic, as far to the left as possible.
- Watch for vehicles that are backing up while trick or treating. Make sure that your children know the dangers associated with darting out into the road.
- Have your child carry a glow stick or flashlight while they are trick or treating, to make them more visible to passing drivers and to help them see better in the dark.
Steve Wilk Insurance Agency in Lombard, Illinois would like to encourage you to keep these tips in mind, so that everyone has a fun and safe Halloween night!