After a disaster, your life is in complete chaos and the only thing you want is to get your life back to normal. Contacting your insurance agent about any insurance claims you might have is the first step in getting your life back. You may or may not know anything about settling a claim, but there are a few things you need to know before time runs out.
- Contact your insurance company as soon after the disaster as you can
- Have a contractor make any temporary repairs that are necessary to make your home livable or to secure your home if it’s not
- If you have to relocate, it’s very important that you keep all of your receipts
- Prepare an inventory of any damaged or destroyed items
- Notate any structural damage to your home and any exterior buildings that have been damaged as well
- Get several written and itemized bids from licensed contractors
- Keep all your notes and copies of every document you submit to the insurance company and the ones they give to you as well
- Write down the name, date and time each time you talk with someone and make notes about what you discussed
- Floods are one of those disasters that aren’t covered under your homeowners insurance policy; therefore, any flood damage claims you submit will be denied
If you’d like more information about obtaining homeowners insurance, please contact an agent with Steve Wilk Insurance.