A company can get a lot of emails every day, and some of them can be phishing emails that pose a high risk to the overall security of your business. Phishing emails can sometimes hack your sensitive business information and cost you more. To protect your business from such threats, make sure to secure your emails.
Follow these email security tips to keep your small business safe.
1. Strong Passwords
A strong password is the first step towards protecting your business’s sensitive information. If you’re wondering how to pick a strong password, follow these guidelines:
- Avoid using birthdays, nicknames, or the names of your pets and family members.
- Try to keep a long password with random phrases.
- Use a combination of uppercase and lowercase alphabets, numbers, and special characters.
2. Identify a Possible Phishing Attack
You and your employees need to learn how to detect possible phishing. Here are some tips that can help you identify phishing emails:
- Look at the sender’s email address, and don’t open it if you don’t recognize the email ID.
- Never tap on suspicious links mentioned in the phishing emails.
- Observe the language of the email. Phishing emails usually contain grammatical errors and poor language.
3. Use Virtual Private Networks or VPNs
Generally, public Wi-Fi may expose you to potential hackers and security risks. However, a VPN can help you work safely on any Wi-Fi connection and ensures your emails are not hacked. Keep your VPN software up-to-date, and be sure to install all the security patches.
4. Encrypt Sensitive Information
Encrypting means you hide the content of the email so that the hackers cannot read or access it. You can encrypt emails that contain important business information. Use a public key to encrypt the message and a private key to decrypt the message.
These are a few email security tips that you should follow to minimize security threats to your small business. Getting business insurance is another way to protect your business. For assistance with any insurance questions or needs, contact the experts at Steve Wilk Insurance today. You can also visit our office at 310 S Main Street, Suite C, Lombard, IL 60148.