Avoid a house fire this Thanksgiving with these tips.
Thanksgiving is all about enjoying delicious food with your friends and family. Unfortunately, preparing all of the dishes can also lead to a disaster if you are not careful. Use these Thanksgiving cooking safety tips to help prevent any accidents this holiday.
- Before you start cooking, clean all of your utensils and work surface to prevent any contamination.
- Avoid wearing any loose clothing or dangling sleeves while cooking. If you are wearing an apron, use extra caution when using the stove.
- Regularly check on your food while you are cooking and make sure that someone is always home. Set a timer to help you remember that the oven is on.
- Create a kid’s free zone that is at least three feet wide to keep children away from the stove and oven.
- Keep all flammable items away from the stove, including oven mitts, pot holders, wooden utensils, and food packaging.
- Invest in a fire extinguisher to keep in your kitchen so that you can put out any fires that accidentally start.
- Before you head to bed at the end of the day, make sure that all of your kitchen appliances are turned off and all your food is put away.
- Install a smoke alarm right outside of your kitchen. Before you start cooking, test the alarm to ensure that it is working properly.
Most importantly, take a look at your homeowners insurance policy to ensure that you have enough protection for any incident that may occur this Thanksgiving. Contact the independent insurance professionals at Steve Wilk Insurance Agency in Lombard, Illinois for all of your home insurance coverage needs. We will work with you to make sure that you have the right amount of coverage, all at the right price to fit your budget.